|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 19, 2013|
• Leadership & Vision
• Innovation at HP
• HP Buzz
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Enterprise Solutions
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Gartner Says Worldwide Wafer Fab Equipment Spending to Decline 8.9 Percent in 2012
Jun 25, 2012 – Gartner News
WFE Market Is Forecast to Return to Growth in 2013.
"In 2012, WFE started off the year strong, as foundries and other logic manufacturers ramped up sub-30-nm production," said Bob Johnson, research vice president at Gartner. "The need for new equipment was stronger than originally anticipated, because strengthening demand for leading-edge devices required higher production volumes as yields had yet to reach mature levels. However, demand for new logic production equipment will soften as yields improve, leading to declining shipment volume for the rest of the year."
Wafer fab manufacturing capacity utilization will decline into the mid-80-percent range by the middle of 2012 before slowly increasing to about 87 percent by the end of 2012. Leading-edge utilization will return to the high-80-percent range by the second half of 2012, and move into the low-90-percent range through 2013, providing for a positive capital investment environment.
"Production is getting back to more-normal levels, following a period of inventory correction," Mr. Johnson said. "Increased demand, combined with less-than-mature yields at the leading edge, is consuming increased capacity, with the result that utilization will begin to climb upward again in the second quarter of 2012. Capital spending restraints through the second half of 2012 will also slow new capacity additions, with the result that overall utilization rates will return to normal levels at the start of 2013. Leading-edge utilization will stay in the low-90-percent range through most of 2013, providing continued impetus for capital investment.
The industry was ramping up different technology nodes in 2011 and will continue to do so in 2012, driving a broad spectrum of equipment segment sales opportunities. The industry had been ramping up different technology nodes in 2011, and that continues in 2012. Foundry is ramping up 28 nm, leading-edge logic has transitioned to 20 nm, NAND flash will ramp up the 1X node, and DRAM will be ramping up 4X and 3X nodes. Gartner analysts said this will create different challenges for the equipment manufacturers because they face different issues at each node.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/12 Print Service Providers Worldwide Accelerate Growth with the HP Indigo 10000 Digital Press
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO – Optimized Endpoint Security
• 5/10 HP Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Conferences
• 5/10 HP Vertica Announces First Annual Worldwide User Conference
• 5/10 HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of Second Quarter Earnings Conference Call
• 5/10 Ovum: Ovum comments: GB smart meter delay better late than never
• 5/10 Gartner Says India Has The Potential To Lead The World In The Nexus Of Social, Mobile, Cloud And Information But May Waste The Opportunity
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: NSA's Manual on Hacking the Internet
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: 8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
• 5/9 Gartner Highlights Three Key Foundational Elements for Demand-Driven Retail Success
• 5/9 iSuppli: Korean and American Versions of Galaxy S4 as Different as Kimchee and Coleslaw, IHS Teardown Reveals
• 5/9 eMarketer: eMarketer: Emerging Markets Drive Facebook User Growth
• 5/9 Connect: Influence HP - HP ISS Roadshow in August and September
• 5/9 Connect: Meet Stephanie Webster - Connect Member Relations Manager
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Microsoft/Nokia alliance at crossroads as both ponder OS futures
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Apple must rethink far more than the iOS user interface
• 5/9 Faultline: Quantenna gets closer to ST Micro, expect it to get “ascloseasthis”
• 5/9 Faultline: Microsoft volunteers to take Nook, as Barnes and Noble start to breakup
• 5/9 Canalys: Smart mobile device shipments exceed 300 million in Q1 2013 - Android powers 59% of smart phones, tablets and notebooks
• 5/8 McAfee Blogs: Cybercriminals Celebrate – It’s Mothers Day!!
• 5/8 Ovum: Government policy-makers need to create a level playing field for cloud services procurement
• 5/8 Gartner Says Smart Organizations Will Embrace Fast and Frequent Project Failure in Their Quest for Agility
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: How Secure Are Your Social Accounts?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: The Password Problem. Is it Your Problem?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Have you met McAfee’s SIEM?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: NCCDC 2013 – Red Team Recap
• 5/7 HP Security Lab Blog: HP TippingPoint announces Security Management System 3.6
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Yes, There are “Mother’s Day” Scams
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst View: TPG looks to become Australia’s fourth MNO
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst view: UK G-Cloud to champion public cloud
• 5/7 Gartner Says CIOs Will Need to Manage Both Technology and Business Innovation to Gain Competitive Advantage with Big Data
• 5/6 The Next Big Thing Blog: Tech Con ‘13
• 5/6 Data Central: Driving Change in the Energy Space
• 5/6 HP Gives SMBs Increased Mobility and Performance with New PC and Print Solutions
• 5/6 Spring '13 Commercial Printing and Personal Systems Launch – SMB
• 5/6 HP Improves Customers’ Data Center Efficiencies to Support Future Growth
• 5/6 Gartner Says Indian Public Cloud Services Market To Reach $443 Million In 2013
• 5/6 iSuppli: IHS Discusses How PCs Can Survive the Tablet Invasion, at the SID Touch Gesture Motion Event
• 5/6 McAfee Blogs: Emerging ‘Stack Pivoting’ Exploits Bypass Common Security
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Intel, McAfee Investing in Network Security; Strength through Acquisition
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Change Your Password Day – Get Onboard!
• 5/5 Frontline Sentinel: iFrame drive-by attack demo [Anatomy of Attack online]
• 5/5 The Next Big Thing Blog: Robots in space, more to come...
• 5/3 Frontline Sentinel: Basic Use of Maltego for Network Intelligence Gathering
• 5/3 iSuppli: Russian, Eastern European Video Surveillance Market to Double from 2012 to 2017