|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 20, 2013|
• Leadership & Vision
• Innovation at HP
• HP Buzz
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Enterprise Solutions
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Web Stats
eMarketer: Evaluation of multiple research sources reveals recent changes increase focus on content-sharing
Jun 22, 2012 – eMarketer News
Facebook and Twitter, which began as platforms for sharing personal information, are rapidly growing as publishing platforms for news, video, photos and entertainment content, according to multiple research studies analyzed in a new report by eMarketer.
The report, “Facebook and Twitter as Media Platforms: News, Video, Music and Games," covers the use of Twitter and Facebook by consumers looking to access and share media, as well as how media companies and brands use these platforms to target audiences through content marketing.
One factor affecting growth is the launch of Facebook's Timeline interface in late 2011, which puts greater focus on media activity compared with the previous iteration of the Facebook newsfeed, eMarketer found.
According to multiple studies and interviews analyzed in the report, Timeline has significantly increased user engagement with content on the site. A Simply Measured report from February, for example, found that worldwide content engagement on Facebook had gone up 46% since before Timeline.
BMW of North America’s social media manager, Kate Alini, told eMarketer in an interview that she sees Facebook as a “headquarters for social engagement.”
Twitter is also growing as a destination for both media consumers and suppliers, thanks in part to the company's recently launched #Discover interface.
According to the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism, 39% of Twitter users said most of the news they got on Twitter in January 2012 was not material they would have read elsewhere. On Facebook, the corresponding percentage was a bit lower at 34%. This means that, by eMarketer’s estimates of the Twitter and Facebook user bases in 2012, more than 11 million Twitter users and more than 48 million Facebook users are getting news on those services.
The full report also details how Twitter and Facebook have also become hubs for gaming, video, and photo-sharing. Key takeaways:
eMarketer evaluated hundreds of third-party research findings for the report, eventually selecting data from several vetted sources, including comScore, Flurry Analytics, Pew Research Center, PopCap Games, Simply Measured, and VEVO.
eMarketer also conducted interviews with executives at several media companies and brands, including BMW, Converse, Facebook, GE, Kraft Foods, National Hockey League, VEVO, Oreo, Procter & Gamble, TBG Digital, and The Washington Post.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/12 Print Service Providers Worldwide Accelerate Growth with the HP Indigo 10000 Digital Press
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO – Optimized Endpoint Security
• 5/10 HP Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Conferences
• 5/10 HP Vertica Announces First Annual Worldwide User Conference
• 5/10 HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of Second Quarter Earnings Conference Call
• 5/10 Ovum: Ovum comments: GB smart meter delay better late than never
• 5/10 Gartner Says India Has The Potential To Lead The World In The Nexus Of Social, Mobile, Cloud And Information But May Waste The Opportunity
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: NSA's Manual on Hacking the Internet
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: 8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
• 5/9 Gartner Highlights Three Key Foundational Elements for Demand-Driven Retail Success
• 5/9 iSuppli: Korean and American Versions of Galaxy S4 as Different as Kimchee and Coleslaw, IHS Teardown Reveals
• 5/9 eMarketer: eMarketer: Emerging Markets Drive Facebook User Growth
• 5/9 Connect: Influence HP - HP ISS Roadshow in August and September
• 5/9 Connect: Meet Stephanie Webster - Connect Member Relations Manager
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Microsoft/Nokia alliance at crossroads as both ponder OS futures
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Apple must rethink far more than the iOS user interface
• 5/9 Faultline: Quantenna gets closer to ST Micro, expect it to get “ascloseasthis”
• 5/9 Faultline: Microsoft volunteers to take Nook, as Barnes and Noble start to breakup
• 5/9 Canalys: Smart mobile device shipments exceed 300 million in Q1 2013 - Android powers 59% of smart phones, tablets and notebooks
• 5/8 McAfee Blogs: Cybercriminals Celebrate – It’s Mothers Day!!
• 5/8 Ovum: Government policy-makers need to create a level playing field for cloud services procurement
• 5/8 Gartner Says Smart Organizations Will Embrace Fast and Frequent Project Failure in Their Quest for Agility
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: How Secure Are Your Social Accounts?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: The Password Problem. Is it Your Problem?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Have you met McAfee’s SIEM?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: NCCDC 2013 – Red Team Recap
• 5/7 HP Security Lab Blog: HP TippingPoint announces Security Management System 3.6
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Yes, There are “Mother’s Day” Scams
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst View: TPG looks to become Australia’s fourth MNO
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst view: UK G-Cloud to champion public cloud
• 5/7 Gartner Says CIOs Will Need to Manage Both Technology and Business Innovation to Gain Competitive Advantage with Big Data
• 5/6 The Next Big Thing Blog: Tech Con ‘13
• 5/6 Data Central: Driving Change in the Energy Space
• 5/6 HP Gives SMBs Increased Mobility and Performance with New PC and Print Solutions
• 5/6 Spring '13 Commercial Printing and Personal Systems Launch – SMB
• 5/6 HP Improves Customers’ Data Center Efficiencies to Support Future Growth
• 5/6 Gartner Says Indian Public Cloud Services Market To Reach $443 Million In 2013
• 5/6 iSuppli: IHS Discusses How PCs Can Survive the Tablet Invasion, at the SID Touch Gesture Motion Event
• 5/6 McAfee Blogs: Emerging ‘Stack Pivoting’ Exploits Bypass Common Security
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Intel, McAfee Investing in Network Security; Strength through Acquisition
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Change Your Password Day – Get Onboard!
• 5/5 Frontline Sentinel: iFrame drive-by attack demo [Anatomy of Attack online]
• 5/5 The Next Big Thing Blog: Robots in space, more to come...
• 5/3 Frontline Sentinel: Basic Use of Maltego for Network Intelligence Gathering
• 5/3 iSuppli: Russian, Eastern European Video Surveillance Market to Double from 2012 to 2017