|Innovating The Next Big Thing||June 19, 2013|
• Leadership & Vision
• Innovation at HP
• HP Buzz
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Enterprise Solutions
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Web Stats
TechNewsWorld: Google Embarks on Language Rescue Mission
Jun 21, 2012 – Peter Suciu
Although Google has been criticized for spreading itself too thin by undertaking projects that on the surface have little to do with its core mission, that might not be true of its latest philanthropic endeavor. "Google's core goal is to make information accessible," noted tech analyst Rob Enderle. "If a language dies out, then the information that was created with it likely dies as well."
Latin maybe the most famous "dead" language, at least in that it isn't widely spoken beyond its use by the Catholic Church, but it is not lost to the ages. Linguists have been warning that nearly all human languages -- save for the most commonly spoken tongues -- could become extinct within the next 200 years.
Of the 7,000 languages currently spoken around the globe, 50 percent will not survive the century, according to the Endangered Languages Project, which aims to preserve these languages by uploading video, audio and even text files of rare dialects to a central website.
The project is a collaboration between the First Peoples' Cultural Council, the Institute for Language Information and Technology at Eastern Michigan University, and Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG) philanthropic arm, Google.org.
Read the rest...
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Enterprise Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 6/17 Connect: 2013 HP AllianceOne Partner of the Year Awards
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: The Defense Department Lists Mobile Security as a Top Priority
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: The Strategic Consumer
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Keeping Your Small Business Safe from Cyberattacks
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Exciting Times for SMBs at National Small Business Week!
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Why whitelisting is ready for Enterprise desktops
• 6/15 The Next Big Thing Blog: Microsoft Lync 2013 Plain and Simple
• 6/14 The Next Big Thing Blog: Can Smartphone sensors be used in an emergency?
• 6/13 HP Announces 2013 AllianceOne Partner of the Year Award Winners
• 6/13 Gartner Says Cloud Office Systems Total 8 Percent of the Overall Office Market and Will Rise to 33 Percent by 2017
• 6/13 Gartner Says Worldwide External Controller-Based Disk Storage Market Grew 0.6 Percent in First Quarter of 2013
• 6/13 Faultline: Vodafone Kabel Deutschland talks confirmed, deal could be dusted in days
• 6/13 Faultline: Comcast sneaks in Homespot revolution as “Neighborhood Hotspots”
• 6/13 McAfee Blogs: Two Steps are Better Than One: Make a Hacker’s Job Harder with Two-step Verification
• 6/13 The Next Big Thing Blog: More options for continuing education
• 6/12 HP Delivers a Common Architecture for Converged CloudHP Delivers a Common Architecture for Converged Cloud
• 6/12 20th Century Fox Partners with HP to Deliver Converged Cloud Digital Enterprise
• 6/12 Gartner Announces Keynote Speakers for its Supply Chain Executive Conference 2013 in Australia
• 6/12 Gartner Says by 2019, 90 Percent of Organizations Will Have Personal Data on IT Systems They Don't Own or Control
• 6/12 iSuppli: Doing What It Does Best: Apple Reinvents Existing iPhones with iOS7 and Competitive Music Launch
• 6/12 McAfee Blogs: Moving up with McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection
• 6/12 McAfee Blogs: Can you answer these three smart business questions about authentication?
• 6/12 HP Security lab Blog: Top 10 things for security people to do at HP Discover 2013 - Las Vegas, NV
• 6/12 HP Security Lab Blog: HP introduces HAVEn to combat $4 billion cyber-theft in Big Data space
• 6/11 HP Expands Converged Storage Portfolio
• 6/11 HP Introduces New SMB Servers that Simplify IT, Boost Business Productivity
• 6/11 HP Unleashes the Power of Big Data
• 6/11 HP and Google to Simplify IT for Small and Medium Businesses
• 6/11 Gartner Says Worldwide Security Market to Grow 8.7 Percent in 2013
• 6/11 Gartner Says Less than 10 Percent of Enterprises Have a True Information Strategy
• 6/11 The Next Big THing Blog: HP Storage announcements at Discover
• 6/11 The Next Big Thing Blog: Big Data news at HP Discover – HAVEn and a little Neutron
• 6/10 HP Discover 2013
• 6/10 Ovum: Analyst view: Google to buy Waze
• 6/10 Ovum: Analyst view: Apple acknowledges the need for user interface refresh and is willing to do something pretty dramatic
• 6/10 Gartner Forecasts Indian Business Intelligence Software Revenue to Reach $113 Million In 2013
• 6/10 iSuppli: It’s a Tie: Bosch and STM Hold Joint Honors as No. 1 MEMS Suppliers for 2012
• 6/10 iSuppli: 1.3GW of PV Installations Eliminated by EU Anti-Dumping Duties in 2013; Double-Digit Global Growth Still Likely
• 6/10 Wireless Watch: Small Cell World Summit: industry poised to kickstart volume roll-outs
• 6/10 Wireless Watch: Cisco seeks leading role in wireless via small cells
• 6/10 McAfee Blogs: Syrian Crisis Reminds Us to Beware of ‘Charity’ Scams
• 6/10 The Next Big Thing Blog: A few things happening before HP Discover
• 6/10 HP Extends Support for OpenVMS through Year 2020
• 6/10 HP Transforms How Customers Manage, Access and Mobilize the Office with Cloud Print Solutions