|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 25, 2013|
• Leadership & Vision
• Innovation at HP
• HP Buzz
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Enterprise Solutions
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Web Stats
McAfee Blogs: No More Excuses! Itís Cyber Security Awareness Week!
Jun 11, 2012 – Cybermum Australia
If you have been putting off addressing your family’s cyber security – possibly in the too hard basket – then your time has run out. This week is National Cyber Security Awareness Week so there is absolutely no more room for excuses!
National Cyber Security Awareness Week is an annual event organised by the Australian Government to help Aussies understand the risks of the cyber world as well as educating them about how to protect their personal and financial information online.
As a mum of four boys, I spend most of my life at sporting events, reading groups or birthday parties. And whether it is around the soccer field or while on canteen duty, my conversations with fellow parents always seem to centre on all things online. From Facebook and Skype to online gaming or Xbox live, parents are concerned about how to navigate the digital world. How long should their kids be able to have online? How can parents get them off? And, most importantly, how can they protect them?
I totally understand how overwhelmed some parents can feel when it comes to negotiating anything cyber with their kids. There are days where I have to remove myself from the battlefield – I have even been known to sit in the car just so I can regroup and avoid having a conniption!
So, after I have had a few cups of tea and calmed down, I dust off my parental cyber security management plan, which goes a little like this:
Now, I know implementing a plan might seem a little overwhelming. But I really believe we owe it to our children to keep them safe online. The internet can be a fantastic place for your children to learn, socialise and grow. In my opinion, to ban them from the online world would be to genuinely deny them a truly life changing experience.
So, back yourself. Implement your plan and keep your kids safe online. Yes, you might be unpopular when their turn is finished, but remember you are doing this because you love them!
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Network & Information Security articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/24 Frontline Sentinel: What Java's installer should really say (Funny)
• 5/24 Frontline Sentinel: How to build C-level support for the benefits of penetration testing
• 5/23 Frontline Sentinel: "Interview with a Blackhat" by Whitehat Security
• 5/23 Gartner Says IT Spending in Indian Banking and Securities Market To Reach 422 Billion Rupees In 2013
• 5/23 Gartner Announces Rankings of Its 2013 Supply Chain Top 25
• 5/23 iSuppli: Global Touch-Screen Panel Shipments to Double by 2016, IHS Analyst Announces at SID
• 5/23 iSuppli: Falling Commodity Prices Give Buyers Using Cost Analysis the Upper Hand in Supplier Negotiations
• 5/23 Connect: Countdown to HP Discover May 23, 2013
• 5/23 Wireless Watch: New Intel chief puts post-smartphone devices at the heart of his agenda
• 5/23 Wireless Watch: Satellite spectrum under siege from cellular predators
• 5/23 Faultline: TiVo blows away numbers Ė still ignored by investors
• 5/23 Faultline: Yahoo gambles on social networking to make up for lost time
• 5/23 Canalys: Top iOS and Android apps largely absent on Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 - App quality not quantity now needs to be the priority for Microsoft and BlackBerry
• 5/22 2013 Security Market Outlook - Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit Preview
• 5/22 iSuppli: Chinaís Labor Day LCD TV Sales Surge by Double-Digit Percentage
• 5/22 Connect: Countdown to HP Discover May 22, 2013
• 5/21 Gartner Says IT Operations and Management Software Market Grew 4.8 Percent in 2012
• 5/21 iSuppli: One Quarter of All Notebooks to Ship with Touchscreens by 2016; Intel Endorses Touch Technology at SID
• 5/21 iSuppli: Can UHD Televisions Avoid the Fate of 3D Sets?
• 5/21 iSuppli: After a Year of Decline, Global Flat-Panel TV Market Ekes Out Marginal Growth in the First Quarter
• 5/21 Connect: Countdown to HP Discover May 20, 2013
• 5/21 Connect: Countdown to HP Discover May 21, 2013
• 5/21 Frontline Sentinel: Network perimeter security: How to audit remote access services
• 5/20 Gartner Says Business Intelligence/Analytics Is Top Area for CFO Technology Investment Through 2014
• 5/20 Gartner Says Worldwide Supply Chain Management Software Market Grew 7.1 Percent to Reach $8.3 Billion in 2012
• 5/20 Yahoo Acquisition of Tumblr Can Lead to Content Platforms
• 5/20 iSuppli: Top IHS Experts to Attend SID Display Week 2013
• 5/20 iSuppli: How Intel Can Enable a Successful $200 PC in the Age of the Media Tablet
• 5/17 Connect: Countdown to HP Discover May 17, 2013
• 5/16 iSuppli: Shipments of Sports and Fitness Monitors to Total One-Quarter Billion from 2013 Through 2017
• 5/16 Connect: Countdown to Discover - May 16
• 5/16 Canalys: World-class speaker line-up announced for Canalys Channels Forums 2013 - Confirmed sponsors include Lenovo, HP, Cisco and EMC at keynote level
• 5/15 Gartner Says PC Market in Western Europe Declined 20.5 Percent in First Quarter of 2013
• 5/15 Gartner Highlights 2013 Cool Vendors That Are Transforming How Businesses Operate
• 5/15 iSuppli: Google Unlikely to Deploy its Fiber Broadband Service Nationwide
• 5/15 Connect: Countdown to HP Discover
• 5/15 Connect: Call for Papers Now Open - 2013 NonStop Advanced TBC
• 5/14 Asia Pacific CEOs View Themselves as Tech-Savvy Pioneers, According to Gartner CEO and Senior Business Executive Survey
• 5/14 Gartner Says Asia/Pacific Led Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales to Growth in First Quarter of 2013
• 5/14 Gartner Identifies Five Actions for Enterprise Architects to Harness the Disruption of Consumerization
• 5/14 iSuppli: Small Cells with Wi-Fi Set to Reshape Wireless Communications Market
• 5/13 Frontline Sentinel: How Facebook Updates Would Look in Real Life [Funny]
• 5/13 Gartner Says Project and Portfolio Management Software Market Grew 11 Percent in 2012
• 5/13 Gartner Says India IT Infrastructure Spending Will Reach $2.3 Billion By 2014
• 5/13 What to Expect at Google I/O
• 5/13 iSuppli: EU Antidumping Duties to Price Chinese Modules out of the European Market
• 5/13 iSuppli: Combo MEMS Inertial Sensors Motor Their Way to Brisk Growth in the Automotive Market
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/12 Print Service Providers Worldwide Accelerate Growth with the HP Indigo 10000 Digital Press
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO Ė Optimized Endpoint Security