|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 18, 2013|
• Leadership & Vision
• Innovation at HP
• HP Buzz
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Enterprise Solutions
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Gartner Says Worldwide External Controller-Based Disk Storage Market Grew 8 Percent in First Quarter of 2012
Jun 7, 2012 – Gartner News
Worldwide external controller-based (ECB) disk storage vendor revenue totaled $5.4 billion in the first quarter of 2012, an 8 percent increase from revenue of $5 billion in the first quarter of 2011, according to Gartner, Inc. The first quarter of 2012 was the 10th consecutive quarter of revenue growth, and its results met Gartner's expectations of an 8 percent year-over-year increase.
"Revenue by host interface protocol and regional geography varied from Gartner's 4Q11 forecast update," said Roger Cox, research vice president at Gartner. "Block-access host interface notably associated with SAN infrastructures came in at 4 percent year-over-year growth in vendor revenue against a forecast of 5.2 percent, while file-access beat the Gartner forecast with 22.9 percent year-over-year growth, four percentage points higher than Gartner's forecast."
While there may have been occasions when the ECB disk storage vendors were unable to secure a specific hard-disk drive (HDD) capacity, the issues presented by the October 2011 Thailand flood are largely behind them. HDD pricing for ECB disk storage systems remains above preflood levels on a per-terabyte basis.
With a 2.4 percent market share increase in 1Q12, EMC continued to dominate the market. Observing that 21.9 percent of its total ECB disk storage revenue came from recent acquisitions (Data Domain, Avamar and Isilon), EMC was No. 1 in the worldwide ECB disk storage market (see Table 1).
Note 1: EMC revenue excludes OEM revenue from Dell and Fujitsu Technology Solutions.
Both NetApp and Dell also gained share in the first quarter of 2012. Dell's ECB disk storage acquisition strategy is beginning to pay off for it, with 73.5 percent of its ECB disk storage revenue being produced by its EqualLogic PS series and by the Dell Compellent Storage Center platform. Relying on the proven value propositions of its core Data ONTAP technology, NetApp was one of three vendors to achieve share gains in the first quarter of 2012.
Hitachi/HDS increased its VSP platform revenue by 24.5 percent in the first quarter of 2012 compared with the same period a year earlier, increasing its high-end enterprise (aka monolithic frame-based) market share by 6.3 percentage points. With a 42.9 percent year-over-year increase in revenue, Oracle's ZFS storage appliance was just one of two vendors to gain share in the network attached storage (NAS) market in the first quarter. Although it lost 0.7 percentage points of market share, IBM increased its percentage of internally developed ECB disk storage platforms to 70.4 percent of its total first-quarter 2012 revenue, up 9 percentage points over the first quarter of 2011. HP's 3PAR, which grew 137.4 percent year over year, was HP's lone first-quarter 2012 highlight as EVA, P4000 LeftHand, and the P2000 MSA series continued to decline.
With 17.1 and 14.1 year-over-year vendor revenue growth, the Latin America and North America regions did exceptionally well compared with Gartner forecast expectations, while the Asia/Pacific region, at only 4.1 percent year-over-year growth, and Japan, with a 12.3 percent decline, fell far short.
Gartner ECB disk storage reports reflect revenue from new vendor-branded hardware only, as well as hardware revenue associated with financial leases and managed services. Optional and separately priced storage software revenue and storage area network infrastructure components and used ECB disk storage systems are excluded.
Additional information on the ECB disk storage market is available in Gartner's "Quarterly Statistics: Disk Array Storage, All Regions, All Countries, 1Q12 Update." The report includes vendor market share by data access method, price band, sales channel and operating-system segmentation. The report is available on Gartner's website at http://www.gartner.com/resId=2035115.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/12 Print Service Providers Worldwide Accelerate Growth with the HP Indigo 10000 Digital Press
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO – Optimized Endpoint Security
• 5/10 HP Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Conferences
• 5/10 HP Vertica Announces First Annual Worldwide User Conference
• 5/10 HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of Second Quarter Earnings Conference Call
• 5/10 Ovum: Ovum comments: GB smart meter delay better late than never
• 5/10 Gartner Says India Has The Potential To Lead The World In The Nexus Of Social, Mobile, Cloud And Information But May Waste The Opportunity
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: NSA's Manual on Hacking the Internet
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: 8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
• 5/9 Gartner Highlights Three Key Foundational Elements for Demand-Driven Retail Success
• 5/9 iSuppli: Korean and American Versions of Galaxy S4 as Different as Kimchee and Coleslaw, IHS Teardown Reveals
• 5/9 eMarketer: eMarketer: Emerging Markets Drive Facebook User Growth
• 5/9 Connect: Influence HP - HP ISS Roadshow in August and September
• 5/9 Connect: Meet Stephanie Webster - Connect Member Relations Manager
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Microsoft/Nokia alliance at crossroads as both ponder OS futures
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Apple must rethink far more than the iOS user interface
• 5/9 Faultline: Quantenna gets closer to ST Micro, expect it to get “ascloseasthis”
• 5/9 Faultline: Microsoft volunteers to take Nook, as Barnes and Noble start to breakup
• 5/9 Canalys: Smart mobile device shipments exceed 300 million in Q1 2013 - Android powers 59% of smart phones, tablets and notebooks
• 5/8 McAfee Blogs: Cybercriminals Celebrate – It’s Mothers Day!!
• 5/8 Ovum: Government policy-makers need to create a level playing field for cloud services procurement
• 5/8 Gartner Says Smart Organizations Will Embrace Fast and Frequent Project Failure in Their Quest for Agility
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: How Secure Are Your Social Accounts?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: The Password Problem. Is it Your Problem?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Have you met McAfee’s SIEM?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: NCCDC 2013 – Red Team Recap
• 5/7 HP Security Lab Blog: HP TippingPoint announces Security Management System 3.6
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Yes, There are “Mother’s Day” Scams
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst View: TPG looks to become Australia’s fourth MNO
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst view: UK G-Cloud to champion public cloud
• 5/7 Gartner Says CIOs Will Need to Manage Both Technology and Business Innovation to Gain Competitive Advantage with Big Data
• 5/6 The Next Big Thing Blog: Tech Con ‘13
• 5/6 Data Central: Driving Change in the Energy Space
• 5/6 HP Gives SMBs Increased Mobility and Performance with New PC and Print Solutions
• 5/6 Spring '13 Commercial Printing and Personal Systems Launch – SMB
• 5/6 HP Improves Customers’ Data Center Efficiencies to Support Future Growth
• 5/6 Gartner Says Indian Public Cloud Services Market To Reach $443 Million In 2013
• 5/6 iSuppli: IHS Discusses How PCs Can Survive the Tablet Invasion, at the SID Touch Gesture Motion Event
• 5/6 McAfee Blogs: Emerging ‘Stack Pivoting’ Exploits Bypass Common Security
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Intel, McAfee Investing in Network Security; Strength through Acquisition
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Change Your Password Day – Get Onboard!
• 5/5 Frontline Sentinel: iFrame drive-by attack demo [Anatomy of Attack online]
• 5/5 The Next Big Thing Blog: Robots in space, more to come...
• 5/3 Frontline Sentinel: Basic Use of Maltego for Network Intelligence Gathering
• 5/3 iSuppli: Russian, Eastern European Video Surveillance Market to Double from 2012 to 2017