|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 22, 2013|
• Leadership & Vision
• Innovation at HP
• HP Buzz
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Enterprise Solutions
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Gartner Says Mobile Device Management Is Essential for IT Success
May 9, 2012 – Gartner News
Analysts Discuss Mobile Device Management at Gartner IT Infrastructure & Operations Management Summit 2012, June 5-7, in Orlando and June 12-13 in Frankfurt, Germany.
"The era of fully supporting company-owned devices is giving way to an era of managed diversity in which tiered support for employee-owned, consumer-class devices is the norm," said Terrence Cosgrove, research director at Gartner. "With the unabated growth of consumerization, IT leaders need to implement MDM to manage corporate- and employee-owned devices, and assign responsibilities inside IT departments for the service, application and security of all these devices."
MDM requires tight coordination between security and operations. The measures organizations take to implement mobile device security are mostly about ensuring that device configurations match corporate policy — for example, they check whether devices are protected by a compliant password and that the information they contain can be wiped, should circumstances call for this.
"Because of the complexity of the mobile device landscape, there must be a person or group responsible for monitoring this landscape and for understanding users' demands for new types of device and the impact that new platforms have on applications," said Mr. Cosgrove. "This person or group must work with the security team regularly to address the impact that platform changes and demands for mobile services have on the organization's security."
Organizations are moving from a single-standard approach to controlling mobility to a more flexible approach that Gartner calls "managed diversity" — one that supports the variety of mobile devices found in the organization. "This is the only approach that helps IT leaders maintain control over mobility, and supports bring-your-own-device programs," said Mr. Cosgrove. The key to this strategy is to provide an appliance service that offers support for both personally owned devices (individually liable) and business-specific devices (corporate-liable).
Gartner analysts added that without managed diversity, organizations are likely to face increased costs, for three reasons: reduced user productivity, if the IT standard does not suit users' needs; a perception on the part of users that the IT department has lost relevance, which prompts more users to support themselves and increases indirect costs; higher noncompliance costs incurred by users who circumvent IT standards.
Although some MDM vendors and products have been around a long time, MDM is a nascent market and growing rapidly. Today, there are over 100 MDM vendors, with most offering on-premises or software-as-a-service tools. More mature managed services will emerge during the next three years to drive growth in the industry. Gartner predicts that pure MDM revenue (i.e., excluding revenue relating to messaging and security) will exceed $500 million in 2012.
Organizations have to decide whether a heavyweight (i.e., container-based) or lightweight (i.e., policy-based) approach is appropriate for them. “A variety of factors come into play here, including device ownership (whether the user or the organization owns the device), security, compliance, application delivery and device usability,” said Mr. Cosgrove.
Gartner analysts will explore the selection and implementation of MDM vendors and tools at the Gartner IT Infrastructure & Operations Management Summit 2012, June 5-7 at the Peabody Orlando in Orlando, Florida, and June 12-13 in Frankfurt, Germany. Information from the event will be shared on Twitter at http://twitter.com/Gartner_inc using #GartnerIOM.
For further information about the Gartner IT Infrastructure & Operations Management Summit 2012 taking place June 12-13, in Frankfurt, Germany, please visit www.gartner.com/eu/iom.
Additional information about the Gartner IT Infrastructure & Operations Management Summit 2012 taking place June 5-7 at the Peabody Orlando in Orlando, Florida, is available at http://www.gartner.com/technology/summits/na/it-operations/.
Note to editors:
About Gartner IT Infrastructure & Operations Management Summit 2012
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Enterprise Mobility articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/12 Print Service Providers Worldwide Accelerate Growth with the HP Indigo 10000 Digital Press
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO – Optimized Endpoint Security
• 5/10 HP Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Conferences
• 5/10 HP Vertica Announces First Annual Worldwide User Conference
• 5/10 HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of Second Quarter Earnings Conference Call
• 5/10 Ovum: Ovum comments: GB smart meter delay better late than never
• 5/10 Gartner Says India Has The Potential To Lead The World In The Nexus Of Social, Mobile, Cloud And Information But May Waste The Opportunity
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: NSA's Manual on Hacking the Internet
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: 8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
• 5/9 Gartner Highlights Three Key Foundational Elements for Demand-Driven Retail Success
• 5/9 iSuppli: Korean and American Versions of Galaxy S4 as Different as Kimchee and Coleslaw, IHS Teardown Reveals
• 5/9 eMarketer: eMarketer: Emerging Markets Drive Facebook User Growth
• 5/9 Connect: Influence HP - HP ISS Roadshow in August and September
• 5/9 Connect: Meet Stephanie Webster - Connect Member Relations Manager
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Microsoft/Nokia alliance at crossroads as both ponder OS futures
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Apple must rethink far more than the iOS user interface
• 5/9 Faultline: Quantenna gets closer to ST Micro, expect it to get “ascloseasthis”
• 5/9 Faultline: Microsoft volunteers to take Nook, as Barnes and Noble start to breakup
• 5/9 Canalys: Smart mobile device shipments exceed 300 million in Q1 2013 - Android powers 59% of smart phones, tablets and notebooks
• 5/8 McAfee Blogs: Cybercriminals Celebrate – It’s Mothers Day!!
• 5/8 Ovum: Government policy-makers need to create a level playing field for cloud services procurement
• 5/8 Gartner Says Smart Organizations Will Embrace Fast and Frequent Project Failure in Their Quest for Agility
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: How Secure Are Your Social Accounts?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: The Password Problem. Is it Your Problem?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Have you met McAfee’s SIEM?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: NCCDC 2013 – Red Team Recap
• 5/7 HP Security Lab Blog: HP TippingPoint announces Security Management System 3.6
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Yes, There are “Mother’s Day” Scams
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst View: TPG looks to become Australia’s fourth MNO
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst view: UK G-Cloud to champion public cloud
• 5/7 Gartner Says CIOs Will Need to Manage Both Technology and Business Innovation to Gain Competitive Advantage with Big Data
• 5/6 The Next Big Thing Blog: Tech Con ‘13
• 5/6 Data Central: Driving Change in the Energy Space
• 5/6 HP Gives SMBs Increased Mobility and Performance with New PC and Print Solutions
• 5/6 Spring '13 Commercial Printing and Personal Systems Launch – SMB
• 5/6 HP Improves Customers’ Data Center Efficiencies to Support Future Growth
• 5/6 Gartner Says Indian Public Cloud Services Market To Reach $443 Million In 2013
• 5/6 iSuppli: IHS Discusses How PCs Can Survive the Tablet Invasion, at the SID Touch Gesture Motion Event
• 5/6 McAfee Blogs: Emerging ‘Stack Pivoting’ Exploits Bypass Common Security
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Intel, McAfee Investing in Network Security; Strength through Acquisition
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Change Your Password Day – Get Onboard!
• 5/5 Frontline Sentinel: iFrame drive-by attack demo [Anatomy of Attack online]
• 5/5 The Next Big Thing Blog: Robots in space, more to come...
• 5/3 Frontline Sentinel: Basic Use of Maltego for Network Intelligence Gathering
• 5/3 iSuppli: Russian, Eastern European Video Surveillance Market to Double from 2012 to 2017