|Innovating The Next Big Thing||March 27, 2015|
• Leadership & Vision
• Enterprise Solutions
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Innovation at HP
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• HP Buzz
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
Barry's Book Shop
"Puss in Boots" Comes Alive with Technology from HP
Oct 26, 2011 – HP Corporate Communications
HP and DreamWorks collaborate to push artistic animation to new heights
HP today announced that DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. selected HP technology to push the boundaries of digital animation and produce the company’s most technically advanced film to date, ”Puss in Boots,” launching in theaters Oct. 28.
As part of a technology relationship that began with HP in 2001, DreamWorks deploys HP Converged Infrastructure as the technology backbone for complex animation, helping shape the future of digital filmmaking. To bring feature films to life, DreamWorks Animation utilizes everything from HP desktop workstations to HP networking products to HP digital rendering resources accessed via the cloud.
To create ”Puss in Boots,” artists used more than 200 high-performance HP Z800 Workstations, allowing the flawless execution of exceedingly detailed and creative tasks. The workstations helped design everything in the film – from the swashbuckling hero Puss, to digital effects such as complex tornados and cloudscapes.
For ”Puss in Boots,” HP ProLiant BL460 blade technology, geographically dispersed in five server render farms across the United States and India, provided peak compute power at crucial stages of production. The blade servers powered an unprecedented 117 terabytes of data and more than 60 million render hours.
“As with all of our films, ‘Puss In Boots’ required powerful systems to support the digital demands of our creative teams,” said Ed Leonard, chief technology officer, DreamWorks Animation SKG. “Knowing that we have the support of our partners at HP allows us to free our artists from technical limitations, letting them focus on creating the most powerful 3-D CG experiences.”
DreamWorks chose HP Networking solutions including HP 12508 and 5800 series switches, HP Networking Intelligent Management Center, and HP Intelligent Resilient Framework to provide improved levels of network performance while simplifying network management across the studio’s scalable 10G WAN/LAN environment. Additionally, DreamWorks used HP X9000 IBRIX Network Storage System as a solution that can scale capacity to respond to the demanding needs of the studio while allowing for future growth.
To meet the massive data demands of the film, DreamWorks deployed HP Cloud Services, which eliminated the need for an estimated multimillion dollar physical data center expansion. Eight million of the total 63 million hours of rendering were rendered using HP Cloud Services, which represented 45 percent of the studio’s overall cloud computing needs.
“Our decade-long collaboration with DreamWorks has challenged HP to develop technology that continually meets the intense, high-performance needs of the world’s best digital animators,” said Doug Oathout, vice president, Converged Infrastructure, HP. “HP effectively serves as an infrastructure extension of a premiere Hollywood animation studio providing cutting-edge technology to support some of the most creative minds in film and animation.”
HP DreamColor technology was utilized in the film’s production process to provide high-end color prints of the creative team’s visual development work. This technology enabled designers to print accurate color proofs of critical reference imagery such as character designs, environments and key storytelling moments.
In addition to jointly developing the HP DreamColor technology in HP printers, DreamWorks and HP also developed the billion-color HP DreamColor Monitor, which surpasses performance of any other LCD display available, enabling artists to achieve consistency, depth and richness of color.
HP Converged Infrastructure is a key foundation of an Instant-On Enterprise. In a world of continuous connectivity, the Instant-On Enterprise embeds technology in everything it does to serve customers, employees, partners and citizens with whatever they need, instantly.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Digital Arts & Entertainment articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 3/13 Innovation Insights: Circumstances for the Success of the Apple Watch
• 3/10 Over The River: Make Time for Game Time
• 3/4 Innovation Insights: Zombie Projects: How to Find Them and Kill Them
• 2/27 IBM News: IBM Delivers Record Performance to Cloud, Mobile and Web App Developers
• 2/27 Gartner Highlights the Top 10 Strategic Technologies Impacting Education in 2015
• 2/27 HP Security Products Blog: Enterprise security: What’s new for the week of February 23, 2015
• 2/26 Innovation Insights: How Singapore Became an Entrepreneurial Hub
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Telekom Austria becomes a virtualization frontrunner
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Yahoo drives home mobile message with apps platform and developer event
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Google goes live with Android for Work, targeting better enterprise presence
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Dish continues to tantalize the US market with wireless plan hints
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Qualcomm’s Chromecast rival boosts mobile pay-TV hopes
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Comcast may follow Cablevision into mobile WiFi soon
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Bluetooth SIG forms mesh working group at last
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Juniper and IBM team up on ‘smart networks’
• 2/26 Faultline: No 4K for 2016 Rio Olympics
• 2/26 Faultline: YouTube releases video app for children, subscription music too
• 2/26 Faultline: Vizio specs show 4K finally getting affordable, still not full UHD
• 2/26 Faultline: Viacom plays on MTV for global mobile OTT
• 2/26 Faultline: More set top makers threatened as RDK backs DVB services
• 2/26 Faultline: TiVo OTA hybrid opens door on 4.6m Frontier homes or more
• 2/25 Intel News: Chip Shot: Intel to Support Android for Work
• 2/25 What is Driving Business Intelligence and Analytics in 2015?
• 2/25 eMarketer: BlackBerry’s UK User Base Plummets to Below 1 Million
• 2/25 eMarketer: BlackBerry’s UK User Base Plummets to Below 1 Million
• 2/25 Connect News: FREE WEBINAR ON DEMAND: Shifting from servers to services
• 2/25 HP Security Products Blog: What does being "Certified" mean, anyway?
• 2/25 Intel News: Chip Shot: Intel® XDK Provides New Game Tools and Services for HTML5 Developers
• 2/25 HP Next: Giving Women In Technology A Boost For Further Advancement
• 2/25 HP Next: Enterprises Realize the Benefits of Cloud with HP Services for Oracle Applications
• 2/25 HP Next: HP Helps Businesses Deliver Exceptional Customer Experiences with Enhancements to HP Workforce Optimization Software Suite
• 2/25 Ovum: Analyst View: Samsung’s entry into the Mobile Payments Market poses more challenges to Google than Apple
• 2/24 IBM News: Shiseido Teams with IBM to Empower Its Beauty Consultants with Mobile Apps That Change the Way They Work
• 2/24 IBM News: Citi and IBM Align to Accelerate Digital Banking Innovation Through Citi Mobile Challenge
• 2/24 IBM News: IBM And Juniper Networks Partner To Build Smarter Networks With Predictive Analytics
• 2/24 Gartner Says By 2018, 40 Percent of Large Enterprises Will Have Formal Plans to Address Aggressive Cybersecurity Business Disruption Attacks
• 2/24 Connect News: FREE WEBINAR ON DEMAND: Three Best Practices to Maximize IaaS
• 2/24 HP Next: HP CFO Cathie Lesjak on Q1 FY15 Earnings
• 2/24 HP Newsroom: Deutsche Bank and Hewlett-Packard sign agreement
• 2/24 HP Newsroom: HP Reports Fiscal 2015 First Quarter Results
• 2/23 IBM News: IBM Continues Expansion of Global Cloud Centers to Support Hybrid Cloud Growth
• 2/23 IBM News: IBM and CSC Expand Partnership to Help Growing Ecosystem Develop and Modernize Applications to the IBM Cloud
• 2/23 IBM News: IBM and Tech Mahindra Join Hands to Accelerate Global Hybrid Cloud Adoption
• 2/23 Will New Challengers Disrupt the Mobile Phone Market in 2015?
• 2/23 Connect News: HP gets serious about end-to-end data protection
• 2/23 HP Security Products Blog: Known Issues Plague Threat Landscape