|Innovating The Next Big Thing||April 27, 2015|
• Leadership & Vision
• Enterprise Solutions
• Ecosystem: HP Partners & Customers
• On the Go: Mobile & Wireless Solutions
• Fine Print: Imaging & Printing
• Digital Arts & Entertainment
• Innovation at HP
• Competitive Landscape: HP Rivals
• HP Buzz
Next Innovator Group
HP.com Quick Links
• The HP Blog Hub
HP User Groups
• Ghost City
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
Barry's Book Shop
"Puss in Boots" Comes Alive with Technology from HP
Oct 26, 2011 – HP Corporate Communications
HP and DreamWorks collaborate to push artistic animation to new heights
HP today announced that DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. selected HP technology to push the boundaries of digital animation and produce the company’s most technically advanced film to date, ”Puss in Boots,” launching in theaters Oct. 28.
As part of a technology relationship that began with HP in 2001, DreamWorks deploys HP Converged Infrastructure as the technology backbone for complex animation, helping shape the future of digital filmmaking. To bring feature films to life, DreamWorks Animation utilizes everything from HP desktop workstations to HP networking products to HP digital rendering resources accessed via the cloud.
To create ”Puss in Boots,” artists used more than 200 high-performance HP Z800 Workstations, allowing the flawless execution of exceedingly detailed and creative tasks. The workstations helped design everything in the film – from the swashbuckling hero Puss, to digital effects such as complex tornados and cloudscapes.
For ”Puss in Boots,” HP ProLiant BL460 blade technology, geographically dispersed in five server render farms across the United States and India, provided peak compute power at crucial stages of production. The blade servers powered an unprecedented 117 terabytes of data and more than 60 million render hours.
“As with all of our films, ‘Puss In Boots’ required powerful systems to support the digital demands of our creative teams,” said Ed Leonard, chief technology officer, DreamWorks Animation SKG. “Knowing that we have the support of our partners at HP allows us to free our artists from technical limitations, letting them focus on creating the most powerful 3-D CG experiences.”
DreamWorks chose HP Networking solutions including HP 12508 and 5800 series switches, HP Networking Intelligent Management Center, and HP Intelligent Resilient Framework to provide improved levels of network performance while simplifying network management across the studio’s scalable 10G WAN/LAN environment. Additionally, DreamWorks used HP X9000 IBRIX Network Storage System as a solution that can scale capacity to respond to the demanding needs of the studio while allowing for future growth.
To meet the massive data demands of the film, DreamWorks deployed HP Cloud Services, which eliminated the need for an estimated multimillion dollar physical data center expansion. Eight million of the total 63 million hours of rendering were rendered using HP Cloud Services, which represented 45 percent of the studio’s overall cloud computing needs.
“Our decade-long collaboration with DreamWorks has challenged HP to develop technology that continually meets the intense, high-performance needs of the world’s best digital animators,” said Doug Oathout, vice president, Converged Infrastructure, HP. “HP effectively serves as an infrastructure extension of a premiere Hollywood animation studio providing cutting-edge technology to support some of the most creative minds in film and animation.”
HP DreamColor technology was utilized in the film’s production process to provide high-end color prints of the creative team’s visual development work. This technology enabled designers to print accurate color proofs of critical reference imagery such as character designs, environments and key storytelling moments.
In addition to jointly developing the HP DreamColor technology in HP printers, DreamWorks and HP also developed the billion-color HP DreamColor Monitor, which surpasses performance of any other LCD display available, enabling artists to achieve consistency, depth and richness of color.
HP Converged Infrastructure is a key foundation of an Instant-On Enterprise. In a world of continuous connectivity, the Instant-On Enterprise embeds technology in everything it does to serve customers, employees, partners and citizens with whatever they need, instantly.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Digital Arts & Entertainment articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 4/16 IBM News: IBM Opens Threat Intelligence to Combat Cyber Attacks
• 4/15 IBM News: IBM Confers Highest Technical Honor to 10 New Fellows
• 4/14 Intel News: Intel Reports First-Quarter Revenue of $12.8 Billion, Consistent with Revised Forecast
• 4/14 IBM News: Johnson & Johnson and IBM Announce Plans to Collaborate on Advanced Solutions Designed to Transform Healthcare Delivery
• 4/13 IBM News: IBM Acquires Explorys to Accelerate Cognitive Insights for Health and Wellness
• 4/13 IBM News: IBM to Acquire Phytel to Help Healthcare Providers Deliver Higher Value Care
• 4/9 Intel News: U.S. Department of Energy Selects Intel to Deliver Nation's Most Powerful Supercomputer at Argonne National Laboratory
• 4/9 IBM News: IBM Research Sets New Record for Tape Storage
• 4/9 IBM News: IBM and Barcelona Supercomputing Center – Centro Nacional de Supercomputación Celebrate a Decade of Collaboration
• 4/8 Intel News: Intel Marks 30 Years in China with New Products, Investments and Collaborations
• 4/8 IBM News: U.S. Army Taps IBM Hybrid Cloud for One of Federal Government's Biggest Logistics Systems
• 4/8 Connect News: New webinar on 4/15 12 PM CST - Protecting Your Enterprise: Keeping Email Secure and eDiscovery Easy
• 4/7 IBM News: NASA and IBM Rally Global Developers around Space Exploration on the IBM Cloud
• 4/7 IBM News: Coca-Cola Amatil Improves its Customer Experience with IBM Cloud
• 4/7 Connect News: Webinar - The New Style of IT Networking is Here
• 4/6 Intel News: Intel to Change Financial Reporting Structure
• 4/6 Connect News: WEBINAR ON DEMAND: Outthinking the Bad Guys
• 4/2 Intel News: Intel Publishes 2014 Annual Report and 2015 Proxy Statement; Sets Date for Annual Stockholders' Meeting
• 4/2 Intel News: Ingenico Group and Intel to Bring Payments to the Internet of Things
• 4/2 IBM News: IBM Rolls Out Social Messaging Software for a New Way to Work
• 4/2 IBM News: IBM and China Telecom Partner to Accelerate Mobile Enterprise Adoption in China
• 4/1 IBM News: 4 Out Of 5 Consumers Declare Brands Don’t Know Them As An Individual, According to IBM and Econsultancy Study
• 3/31 IBM News: IBM Connects “Internet of Things” to the Enterprise
• 3/31 IBM News: IBM and The Weather Company Partner to Bring Advanced Weather Insights to Business
• 3/30 HP Newsroom: HP Unveils Software Innovations to Help Businesses Win in the Mobile App Economy
• 3/26 Intel News: Micron and Intel Unveil New 3D NAND Flash Memory
• 3/26 IBM News: New IBM Network Innovation Centers Help Clients Apply Hybrid IT Solutions to Networks
• 3/25 IBM News: Russia's Leading Investment Bank BCS Financial Group Selects IBM Commerce to Bring New Experiences to its Clients
• 3/24 Intel News: Chip Shot: Intel Mobile Momentum Continues in China with ASUS ZenFone 2
• 3/24 IBM News: IBM Master the Mainframe Contest Draws Record Participation, Announces Winners
• 3/24 Connect News: Just 7 days until our next HP Education Services CLASS PASS drawing!
• 3/24 HP Newsroom: HP delivers first fully-configured and integrated OpenStack and Cloud Foundry-based private cloud
• 3/24 HP Newsroom: HP and Bang & Olufsen Partner to Bring Premium Sound to PCs
• 3/23 Intel News: Chip Shot: Dell and Intel Debut New Social Film ‘What Lives Inside’ on Hulu
• 3/20 Connect News: Save $100 on HP’s Cloud Security training at RSA Conference 2015
• 3/19 Intel News: TAG Heuer, Google and Intel Announce Swiss Smartwatch Collaboration
• 3/19 IBM News: IBM Invests in Modernizing Medicine to Accelerate Adoption of Watson Technologies in Healthcare
• 3/19 HP Newsroom: HP Board Increases Regular Dividend by 10 Percent
• 3/18 IBM News: OpenPOWER Foundation Technology Leaders Unveil Hardware Solutions To Deliver New Server Alternatives
• 3/18 Connect News: eCube Systems Launches OpenVMS Survey. Take the Survey NOW!
• 3/17 IBM News: IBM Delivers First Cloud Data Services with Twitter Built-In for Business Professionals and Developers
• 3/16 Intel News: Chip Shot: Intel Security Launches 5 Habits of Practically Unhackable People
• 3/16 IBM News: IBM Helps Angola Develop Smarter Healthcare and Education Capabilities
• 3/16 HP Newsroom: HP Helps TNT Future-proof Business Through IT Transformation
• 3/16 HP Newsroom: HP Drives Partner Growth with Channel Program Updates
• 3/12 Intel News: Intel Lowers First-Quarter Revenue Outlook
• 3/12 Intel News: Chip Shot: Intel Extreme Masters Supports Women in Gaming
• 3/12 IBM News: Report: IBM Global Business Services Ranked #1 in Thought Leadership
• 3/12 Connect News: Save 30% on HP Online and Classroom Training with these Hot Seats!
• 3/12 Connect News: OpenVMS Courses Now Available From VMS Software, Inc